Golf is the perfect sport for social distancing (thanks, COVID19). But it is also seen as a prestigious, well-respected sport, which can make it seem like a far more expensive sport than it has to be. Once you become a pro, you may want to lay out some cash for a professional set of clubs and other equipment, but has a beginner, golf starter equipment is all you will need (and it won’t break the bank!).
Here is what you will need to get started:
- A Golf Bag. If you will be walking the course, choose a lightweight bag. If you will be hiring carts, opt for something a little sturdier, like a cart or staff bag. These are slightly heavier but can carry more.
- A Set of Clubs. To start, you will need to determine whether you will need right or left-handed clubs. A good set of brand new clubs start in the thousands of Rands range, so as a beginning we would recommend opting for a good second-hand set. Lucky for you, Gumtree has hundreds of great quality sets for sale today.
- Golf Balls. The more expensive the balls, the better quality, for the most part. As a beginner, we wouldn’t recommend splurging on these top-of-the-range balls. Balls are often lost on the course, so while you are still practicing, start with the cheapest balls you can get your hands on.
- Golf Tees. Golf tees are quite inexpensive, so start out with a whole range of sizes so that you can figure out which works best for you.
- Golf Shoes. The game of golf requires a lot of walking (unless you hire a cart every time, of course) so you will want to invest in a sturdy, comfortable pair of golf shoes to include in your starter kit.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to browse! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find sports equipment close to home.