If you’re one for always hitting the road, then this is a must-read. There’s nothing more frustrating than being miles away from home and realising that you have forgotten to replace an essential item. These items will keep your car running and assist with unforeseeable circumstances. If you have ever been assisted on the side of the road by a good Samaritan, chances are you will also want to give back by assisting the next person you see stuck along the side of the road.
Gumtree provides a list of must-have items for your car:
- Documents: Drivers license, proof of insurance, petrol & service books, car manual, car registration are must-haves that are non-negotiable and must be carried at all times.
- Food & drink: Whether it’s for the children or adults, hangry attacks are a thing and with long-distance drives and no shops around, it’s always a good idea to store long- life snacks and water in the boot. Remember to stock take before/after trips!
- Medical: Make sure to always carry your medical aid car with you so it is easily accessible in case of an emergency. Cars should always have fully stocked First Aid kits for all types of injuries.
- GPS/contacts: Not everyone has a phone or car with a GPS installed into it. If not, it’s best to inform family members of your itinerary so they are aware of your movements. Nowadays we are fortunate to have “share location” on our phones for others to track our movements and journeys live. It is also useful to have a map book or printed hard copy for if/when your cell phone battery dies.
- Charger cables: We are lucky enough to be able to charge our phones in the car but don’t forget the charger!
- Emergency car kit: Spare tyres, jacks, triangles, and wenches usually come standard with cars. Make sure these items are all in working order before a trip. Jumper cables and flashlights are an added must to this list.
- Weather conditions: If you do get stuck on the side of the road, warm clothing and blankets are important during the winter seasons. Spare clothing and an umbrella will also come in handy.
- Cash: Some tolls require cash payments. With no ATMs nearby, this could force you to make a U-turn and head back to the nearest shop.
- Tissues & wet wipes: Children eating in the car or changing car parts can be a messy affair. Avoid the mess with the multi-function wet wipes.
- Pen and paper: You could be involved in a fender bender or witness one. You never know when you will need to share details with someone else.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find local car and bakkie information close to home.