Moving to a new place and starting fresh can be super exciting! Packing and actually moving everything is not. Luckily, we’ve got a few pointers to make your moving journey more efficient and stress-free.
- Prepare. The last thing you will want to do is start preparing a week before you move. Talk about pressure you really don’t need! One month before the big day, stock up on all your moving essentials: cardboard boxes, black plastic garbage bags, box tape, thick black markers, and bubble wrap.
- Start Packing Early. Two to three weeks before moving day, allocate one room or corner of a room to set up a whole bunch of boxes. That way you can start packing items as you go about your daily life with things you will not be needing (winter gear during summer, summer gear during winter, etc.).
- Be organized. Use your thick black markers to label all boxes so that you are not stuck with a guessing game when it comes time to unpack in your new home. Save yourself some back pain by packing lighter items in the larger boxes, and heavier items in smaller boxes. If you are using a moving company, it is a good idea to put together a master packing list to ensure all items arrive safely.
- Be efficient. Chests of drawers and cabinets can serve as boxes! Why remove everything from the drawers and cupboards if you will then just have to load it all back in? Keeping items packed here will mean less boxes and effort. Once you arrive in your new home, everything is already where it needs to be!
- Keep things Safe. If bubble wrap is not your thing or you are not able to get a hold of any, a great way to keep breakable items safe is to wrap them in towels and bedding. Your items stay safe, and you get to do your part to be green. Win, win!