Moving homes can be a time-consuming process that involves a lot of effort and hard work. A key factor to determine is which moving company to hire that can do all the heavy lifting. Alternatively, you can ask friends and family to help you out in exchange for lots of pizza and hugs.
Gumtree reviews the two options and helps you decide.
- Professional movers have the right equipment and additional manpower to carry all your heavy furniture and appliances. It may be unfair to ask family or friends to carry these as there is a risk of them getting injured.
- Asking your family to help move can be much cheaper as they do not expect you to pay them. Movers, on the other hand, cost an arm and a leg, especially if you are moving provinces or countries.
- Before making the decision, determine how much time you have to complete the move. If you have more than a month, you can request the help of family and friends to move all your stuff on a weekly basis. However, if you need to move immediately, you will need to hire professional movers.
- Most professional movers offer the option of insurance, which (usually) guarantees your stuff gets to its destination safely. However, with friends and family, there is a risk of damage caused unknowingly, which can cost you in the long run.
- If you are a student who has loads of secondhand stuff to move, ask your family to help. But what happens when you have fragile art pieces and expensive appliances? You need professional movers who are adept at moving and transporting high-end items with adequate TLC.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find local property information close to home.