Travelling with babies and kids? Sounds scary? Well, it doesn’t have to be. Gumtree outlines the following foolproof tips that can make air travel with your little ones much easier.
- Book an early morning flight as kids are usually much sleepier at the time. These flights are also less crowded, making them less overwhelmed, especially after the social distancing of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Avoid flying first class or business class with children. It’s strange but true, you will get more help, support, and sympathy in economy.
- Speak to your children before the flight about what to expect. This includes check- ins, baggage, take-off, landings, and everything in between.
- Dress comfortably and in layers. The last thing you want is to worry about your wardrobe with a cranky toddler in tow. Also, no shoes with laces. Your slip-ons can give you the wear-and-go luxury you need, especially in case of a bathroom emergency.
- Pack little surprises, preferably in gift wrapping paper that you can give the kids when they are bored. Every child loves unwrapping presents!
- We know you want to ensure your child is entertained during the flight. But do not, and this is important, do not overpack. Bring a few interesting snacks and toys for the flight and the rest of the time can be occupied with screen time, exploration, and naps.
- However, do not forget the essentials including wet wipes, sanitisers, water, plastic bags, diapers, pacifiers, kiddie-headphones and their security toy or blanket.
- Landing and take off can be cumbersome with changing air pressure and result in earaches or discomfort. Ensure your children drink some water during take-off and during descent as the swallowing can help.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find local baby and kids information close to home.