One of the components of a home that works the hardest is the plumbing system. This system is responsible for the supply of clean water to drink and for multiple appliances such as washing machines, dishwashers, toilets and many more. But have you ever wondered how long the plumbing system lasts and how to truly care for it? The reality is that once it reaches the end of its lifespan, you may be troubled with leaks and breakdowns. The expectancy of a plumbing system depends on several factors such as its age, usage and installation.
Gumtree analyses the different components of the plumbing system and their lifespans.
- Supply pipelines: Generally made of copper, galvanised steel or brass, the pipelines are responsible for the regular supply of clean water to our homes. These are the average lifespans of these pipes:
- Copper: 50 years or more
- Brass: 40 to 70 years
- Galvanised steel: 20 to 50 years.
- Drainage: The most common materials used in the drainage system are cast iron (usually found in older buildings) or PVC. Cast iron drainage lines can last anywhere between 75 to 100 years. PVC lines, built with larger diameters, can last a whole lifetime if well maintained.
- Toilets: While the structure of a toilet remains solid, its inner components such as the fill valve may need maintenance or fixing every 10 years or so.
- Faucets and sinks: Given below are the materials and their lifespans that are used for the construction of faucets and sinks:
- Acrylic: About 50 years
- Copper: 15 years
- Porcelain: 15 years
- Glass: 15 years
- Enamel: 10 years
- Soapstone: 10 years
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find local job information close to home.