While living through a global pandemic has brought people from all over the world closer than ever before (Hello, Zoom!), the biggest obstacle in our way is of course language barriers. Most of us only speak one or two languages fluently, yet there are thousands of languages around the world. Crazy, isn’t it?
Well, for those of us that want to learn more languages, either to connect on a personal level, or to help you land your dream job, there’s an app for that! Here are a few facts, benefits, and tips for choosing the right app for you.
- Do language learning apps really work? Well, those that pretty much offer a readily available linguistics teacher at your fingertips are, yes. Do your research and read reviews carefully before diving in as some have the bad reputation of simply being addictive rather than effective at teaching.
- Keep in mind that everyone learns differently. What works for one, may not work very well for you. Figure out how you learn best (whether it be via video, pictures, or simply listening to someone speak) and make sure the app you are thinking of grabbing offers that type of learning.
- Don’t get discouraged if the first app you try or first method of learning this new language don’t go very well for you. There are plenty of fish [apps] in the sea and plenty of time to try another. After all, you really can’t know what works and what doesn’t without giving it a try.
- If you are a beginner, opt for a more comprehensive language learning app with more lengthy lessons that are meant to be studied daily to help you really retain the information.
- If you are an intermediate (you already have some knowledge), opt for an app that has more challenging lessons or one that actually connects you with native speakers to challenge you further in your language skills.