With summer coming in hot, you’re likely to spend ample time at the beach, or in a pool with the kids, right? We’ve put together a few tips to keep them safe, especially when spending time in public water. Check them out!
- Never turn your back on your children, even for a second. It can take mere seconds for them to be in serious trouble.
- Focus! Be aware of the common distractions at public places during summer like extra noise, sun-glare, heat, and the monotonous sound of other children playing.
- Take turns watching the kids. Lifeguards protect the beach in segments, so you should too.
- Dress your child in bright colours.
- Try to have a consistent colour for all family members so they can easily be spotted.
- Have a picture of your child in their costume to show the lifeguard or bystanders in case you cannot find them.
- Keep your cellphone safe in a plastic Ziploc bag in case of an emergency.
- If you will be taking advantage of motor boats or other mechanic or floating devices, have your child wear a life jacket at all times.
- Teach your children self-rescue skills through survival swimming lessons.
- If there is a dock, do not allow unsupervised play or water jumping.
As a new parent, you will find there is just so much to learn in such a short period of time. When it comes to the safety of your children, it is always best to stay on top of the latest research and recommendations. Hopefully the above tips are a good starting point!