With the high price of, well, most things these days, it doesn’t really matter whether you drive a small hatchback or a large SUV, we are all looking for ways to cut back on spending. If one of your greatest wishes is to save on petrol, or to get the most mileage out of the petrol in your tank, these ten tips are for you!
- Reduce your speed and acceleration. A steady speed works best!
- Check your tyre pressure often and reduce likelihood of under inflation.
- Check your air filters and clean dirty or outdated ones to increase airflow. Dirty air filters cause air flow complications resulting in poor fuel economy.
- Avoid quick starts and stops which waste quite a lot of fuel.
- Avoid stopping and starting in traffic. A slow, constant speed with keep shifting and fuel usage to a minimum.
- Only use the A/C unit when absolutely necessary.
- Avoid grabbing the most luxurious rims or tyres you can find. Things like these are likely to create rolling resistance resulting in decreased fuel economy in the long run.
- Keep your car clean from clutter. Small things can add up and the more weight your vehicle has in it at all times, the more fuel your car will use.
- When shopping for a new ride, consider the size and only go for the biggest you absolutely NEED. When it comes to fuel economy, size definitely matters.
- Avoid driving for trivial or unnecessary reasons. The more joy rides you go on, the more fuel you will use up without you even knowing where it all went.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find a new ride close to home.