Using classifieds to find a plumber, beautician or housesitter nearby is convenient and a great way to support your local community. But how do you know whether or not they are legitimate? Here are our tips.
- Ask for references. Usually they will have one or two clients they can refer you to. Ask questions about punctuality, quality of work, etc
- Ask for pictures of completed work. You can do a reverse image search to make sure the images weren’t simply taken from Google search.
- Do research on social media. Read their reviews and search for comments about their work. Treat complaints as red flags.
- View their Gumtree profile. If they’ve been using the site for months or years without complaint, they are likely to be legitimate – we remove users if we get complaints about them.
- Pass on the favour! If you are happy with their work, leave a review or write to Gumtree at email@example.com. We appreciate it!