Picture this: you are in a rush and you have to be at work in an hour! What do you do with your oily, greasy hair? Dry shampoo to the rescue, right? We agree dry shampoo can be quite the lifesaver in such situations, but it is also important to know that it cannot be and must not replace regular shampoo that cleanses and nourishes. Gumtree explains how dry shampoo works and how to use it effectively:
- The alcohol- or starch-based active ingredients in dry shampoo soak up oil, sweat and grease in your hair, giving it a cleaner, more luscious appearance.
- Dry shampoos usually are fragranced too, making your hair smell amazing even without washing it.
- Greasy hair after a workout can get a quick fix with dry shampoo but it still needs to be washed to clean the scalp and unblock the pores.
- It is important to remember that darker hair, black or brown, may be left with a white flaky residue when using dry shampoo. This can be prevented by combing your hair out well or buying a dry shampoo specifically formulated for dark hair.
- The way to use a dry shampoo correctly depends on factors such as the type, length, texture and oiliness of the hair.
How to use a dry shampoo effectively:
- Ensure your hair is completely dry and remove all pins, hair ties and accessories.
- Spray a small amount into the roots of your hair from a distance of six inches from the crown. Repeat this with other parts of your hair. Don’t forget the hair at the nape of the neck and behind the ears.
- Using your fingers, massage the dry shampoo into your hair.
- As an option, you can also use the cooling function on your hair dryer for additional volume and bounce.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find local fashion information close to home.