Is your baby transitioning into a rambunctious toddler? Is sitting still or being carried around a thing of the past? It’s time! With all the running, climbing and grabbing, the importance of toddler proofing your home just cannot be undermined. But with so many rooms, pieces of furniture, appliances and the like, where do you even begin? Follow these tips from Gumtree for a room-by-room assistance on toddler proofing.
- The primary step (and this goes for all the rooms in the house) is to cover all electric outlets.
- Secure all wires and cords so lamps and other appliances cannot be pulled down. You can also anchor floor lamps.
- Use covers for controls on electronic appliances such as televisions, sound systems and the like.
- Use latches on drawers and doors of cabinets especially if they store breakable cutlery and dishes.
- If you use a tablecloth, fold up the edges so it cannot be pulled down.
- Push the dining chairs right to the table (without any gaps) to prevent your toddler from climbing onto the table.
- Several items in the bathroom are highly dangerous for toddlers and must be stored away. These include medicines, razors, scissors, cosmetics and more.
- Place anti-slip or non-skid mats in the bathtub to avoid nasty accidents.
- Avoid using glass or ceramic soap dishes and cups.
- Never, as this is of the utmost importance, leave water in the tub or toddlers unattended in a bathroom.
- Keep all the dangerous items such as knives, forks, graters etc. out of reach and locked away.
- Unplug all appliances and do not leave cords hanging.
- Cover the stove and oven controls so your toddler cannot switch them off or on.
- Keep plastic bags and garbage bags out of reach so toddlers cannot put them over their heads.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find local baby and kids information close to home.