House hunting is such an exciting process! The Gumtree team work hard on a daily basis to keep the site safe, and the most important element of that is ensuring our users know exactly how to spot a scammer if they see them.
Here are some things to keep in mind during your hunt to ensure the house hunting process is as exciting as it should be:
- View properties in person. You should never rent or purchase a property without seeing it, no matter how many photographs they show or how much information the ad includes. If the owner claims to be overseas and therefore cannot show you the house, they are not likely to be legit.
- Be wary of professional photos. While professional photographs are not bad in and of themselves, if they look like the home is a model home, it is probably too good to be true.
- Be wary of photographs that are extremely blurry or only show one or two spaces, like the bathroom or a corner of a bedroom.
- Never send money for the deposit without meeting the owner, seeing the property in person, and signing a legal contract.
- Never give out your credit card information, banking information, or other personal information that doesn’t feel necessary.
- Do some research to learn more about common types of fraud, and use your common sense at all times!