When it comes time to sell our homes, our first thought is often to make the inside as clean and clutter-free as possible. But what about the outdoor space? Our front gardens are just as important as the interior, if not more so, as this space is where first impressions are made.
Here are our tips on staging your front garden before professional photographs are taken of your property, or people come for viewings.
- Work on the landscaping. Buyers want to see a freshly manicured yard, so take some time to cut the grass, trim any bare or rotting trees, plant some bright, low-maintenance flowers, and sweep away any debris from your driveway or pathways.
- Declutter, just like you do indoors. You may love garden gnomes or collecting bird baths, but not everyone will. Potential buyers want to be able to visualize their lives in your home, so clear out any outdoor toys, lawn ornaments, signs, and unnecessary furniture.
- Make repairs. If the front of your home needs a new coat of paint or house number replacements (to name a few), do not leave them for the new home owners as you may end up having a hard time actually FINDING new home owners. Most buyers prefer a home that is move-in ready, not one where they will have to commence work immediately after moving in.
- Power wash. If you have a deck, pathway, or dirty driveway, take some time to pressure wash them to make them look like new without actually having to replace anything.
- Clean up the garage. A lot of us use our garages as storage, for both belongings and our vehicles. But this can often lead to a very cluttered and messy space. Take a weekend or two to do a deep clear-out to make your garage look more orderly.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find everything you need to upgrade or repair your space close to home.