In today’s world, it is important to stand out to make a lasting first impression for that dream job position. One great way to do this is through a professional looking video resume. These videos can be uploaded to your social media accounts or emailed to an HR professional.
Gumtree offers you the top tips to create your own perfect video resume:
Location, location, location:
- Shoot in a location that is brightly lit either with natural light or indoor lighting.
- Ensure the location is quiet without distracting background noises such as people talking, televisions or traffic.
- Do not shoot in a location that has a lot of echo.
- Switch off fans or air conditioners to reduce noise further.
Setting up your camera:
- Do not hold your camera and shoot in selfie mode. Instead, use a tripod to ensure a more stable shoot.
- It is recommended to shoot in landscape mode.
- Set up the camera at your eye level, avoiding strange angles that can come across as unprofessional.
Clothing and accessories:
- Even though this is a video, dress as you would for a professional interview. Avoid wrinkled, shiny fabrics that can look jarring on screen.
- Do not wear outfits that will match or blend into the background.
- Avoid chunky jewellery that can interfere with the sound and audio.
- Develop a script of what you want to say beforehand. You should not read off it in the video, but it is good to have a general idea of what you want to convey.
- If you are nervous in front of cameras, ensure you practice a few times in front of the mirror to come across professional and charismatic.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find local jobs information close to home.