Selling your home through a realtor gives you a leg up in a few ways; a database of clients who could be potential buyers for your home, professional photographers, and some added tips and tricks to help you sell your home faster. But not everyone wants to give up that commission money to realtor when perhaps you can sell it on your own.
Read on for a few tips and tricks to getting the job done like the boss you are!
- Declutter your home. Think of this move as the perfect excuse for a good ol’ spring clean and throw out, donate, or sell anything you do not need and that just causes clutter in your home.
- Depersonalize your home. You may love your gallery wall full of family photos, your children’s artwork on the fridge, or trophies you have won, but for the purposes of selling your home, less is more in this regard. The more potential home buyers have picture themselves living in your home, the more likely they are to put in an offer.
- Fix any noticeable issues. Potential buyers who walk through your home will pick up on the smallest thing, and a leaky faucet or small hole in the wall can cause you to lose the sale. You know what they say: you need to spend money to make money.
- Neutralize the space. If you are a lover of bright colours, potential buyers may not be. This comes down to, again, the need for buyers to envision themselves living in your space. The more neutral, yet attractive you can make things, the better.
- Add a little something extra for your open house like a beautiful bouquet on the windowsill, the smell of freshly baked cookies, or a few scented candles.
- Don’t forget the outside Curb appeal is huge, and if you don’t do it right, potential buyers can take one look and not even want to come inside to see the rest. Make sure you mow the lawn and consider planting a few flowers in the garden. If the outdoor paint is peeling or dirty, this is something to address, too.
- Consider hiring a professional home inspector to come in before you hold an open house so that you know the exact issues before a buyer comes in and orders their own. There may be a few inexpensive things you can fix that could help you make more money for your home in the end.
- List your home for sale on Gumtree where you’ll be visible to hundreds of thousands of South Africans looking to purchase a home just like yours. In case you missed it, check out this article we wrote recently about how to write the perfect ad for the sale of your home.