Moving to a new home or completely new town is a big, exciting deal. Moving during a pandemic, however, makes things a little more overwhelming. To ensure your move goes well during these scary times, it is important to plan things out more carefully and meticulously than usual.
Here are our top 5 tips to making your move as smooth and safe as possible:
- Contact the moving company. If you do not have access to a truck of your own, you most likely plan to hire a moving company. Get in touch before the move to find out what safety measures they have in place. To be extra safe, make sure you wear your own mask and gloves, too.
- Calculate your supplies. Ensuring you have enough packing supplies from the start, like tape and boxes, will reduce the number of times you have to expose yourself to others at the shops to replenish.
- Do your own packing. The more people you have in your home to help pack, the more potential exposure.
- Be thoughtful of others. If you are moving to a building of flats, try to contact the owner of the building or the building manager to arrange a move-in time; hopefully, this will ensure your new neighbours are not around at the time. The less people you have to pass by during the move, the better.
- Clean. Once you arrive at your new home, disinfect all surfaces immediately. While you can hope the previous owners or tenants had things professionally cleaned, you cannot be sure.