The thought of a leaking roof is a nightmare for most homeowners. However, if you are in such a situation, it is important to know what to do and who to call. The first step is to take immediate action to avoid any further damage to the interiors and exteriors of your home.
Gumtree gives you the following tips to manage a leaking roof:
- First things first, call a professional roofing company or handyman to ensure timely and professional work is carried out to fix the leak once and for all.
- In the meantime, it is essential to manage the leak (especially if it is a weekend or after hours). Begin by rearranging furniture, spreading out tarps and removing valuable items so the leak does not do further damage.
- Inspect the attic or crawlspace to track the source of the leak. Once you find the leak, you can lay a barrier or plywood along with a bucket to catch the water from the leak.
- Instead of a bucket, you can also use a bottle funnel that can redirect the water from the leak to the exterior of the house. Cut a plastic jug or bottle in half, attach it to a hose that directs the water out of the nearest window.
- Next, go outside your home and try to inspect the roof. There may be obvious causes of the leak such as a fallen tree or missing shingle. However, if you cannot find the cause, leave it to the professionals. The other main causes of a leak include: brittle roofing materials, lifted shingles, pooling water on flat roofs, debris on the roof and blocked gutters.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find local property information close to home.