Once you’ve found the perfect dress for your upcoming birthday or have snagged the vintage jacket you’ve been eyeing on Gumtree, the next step is making sure you know exactly how to care for them to keep them in tip top shape for longer. The good news? It’s easier than it sounds. Here are our five top tips to get you started!
- Hang and Fold Properly. It may be tempting to throw worn clothes on the floor after a long day, but sitting in a scrunched-up pile for long periods can actually be to the detriment of your garment. Always hang or neatly fold your clothing and place them in the cupboard.
- Wear Multiple Times. Often times garments can be worn multiple times before needing to be washed. Frequent washing or dry cleaning can actually shorten the life span of your items. Check out our recent post on how many times you can wear each type of fabric before needing to wash them.
- Hanging Garments. Avoid hanging wet garments on a thin, metal hanger. Always use the best quality hangers when possible. Find hangers that fit the shoulders of jackets and sweaters to allow them to hang naturally.
- Avoid Crowded Closets. Having too many clothes packed into your closet can cause wrinkles. Allowing room for them to breathe can help you avoid having to iron every second day.
- High Quality Wool Garments. These pieces need a little extra care. Use a soft lint brush after each wear to remove any dust or lint. Then, try to give these garments a couple days to rest in between wears to allow the garment to regain their shape. Always take these garments to a dry-cleaner for washing, but avoid going too often.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find the perfect outfit close to home.