Navigating friendships at work can be tricky as most people do not know how to connect and maintain relationships in a professional environment. And for newbies, this is more difficult than ever. Reports suggest that job satisfaction is directly related to having meaningful relationships in the workplace.
For those working for the first time, a new workplace, colleagues, and challenges can be highly overwhelming.
Gumtree has the following tips for anyone in a working environment to connect with others:
- Introduce yourself to everyone you meet
- Participate in conversations and small talk
- Make an effort to learn your colleagues’ names
- Do not spend breaks or lunchtime at your desk
- Invite your colleagues to after-work drinks or dinner
- Add some décor and personality to your desk and inspire conversations
- Join company groups such as sports teams, movie clubs or even social media groups
- Have a positive attitude and offer to help colleagues when needed
- Bring in food or treats to share with those around you
- Be your most authentic self
- Invite colleagues to local events such as concerts, food fests and more
- Be considerate of others’ inputs and opinions
- Do not force others to be friendly with you – the relationship has to be organic to work in the long run
- Once you have established a rapport, add colleagues on social media for more personal interaction
- Find things you have in common with others
- Do not miss out on work events such as get togethers, or end of the week drinks
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find job information close to home.