Everyone loves vacations and being a tourist in some beautiful corner of the world. But what if you want more? You may want to dig a little deeper and experience the country as a local would. But with no background or foundation, that will be difficult to achieve.
Gumtree outlines the following tried and tested tips from tour guides across the globe for you to live the local life during any vacation:
- Even though you are not expected to know the local language, learning the basics such as ‘Hello’ and ‘Thank you’ can go a long way. Use free apps such as Duolingo and Babbel to do a quick crash course. This can help in navigating your way around the city or just getting friendly with the locals.
- When you begin your vacation, land at an airport that is not the capital city. Travelling to airports in small towns or cities can be cheaper and give you the opportunity to explore hidden gems that were not part of the original itinerary.
- Contrary to popular opinion, hostels do not give you a local feel as they are filled with foreign travellers. Instead, opt for local B&Bs or AirBnBs at local neighbourhoods.
- Another great avenue to truly immerse yourself in the local culture is to live in a homestay with a local family. This can be such an enriching experience as you eat their food, watch their favourite TV shows and meet their guests.
- Always go for a local guide instead of commercial bus tours. A local guide will tell you where to eat as well as share amazing anecdotes about the city. These guides are passionate about their cities and know it inside out, giving you the best local experience you can get.