At Gumtree, the safety of our users is our number one priority, which is why we spend a lot of time and resources to ensure we are doing everything we possibly can to reduce the amount of scam found on out site. While we review all ads to be posted to ensure they look legitimate, those looking for jobs should be aware of some red flags, just in case.
Here are some ways to know a job ad is a scam:
- The job itself seems way too good to be true.
- Little to no information is given about the person who is hiring, or the company you would be applying for.
- They are asking for personal information of yours like a passport number, your address, credit card information, or other banking information.
- The job ad includes symbols or references that are foreign to Southern Africa.
- They are requesting money.
- The person hiring evades your questions about the position.
If you apply for a job and one of these red flags comes up along the way, please report it to our help desk.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to find a job! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find your dream job close to your business.