Pet owners know better than anyone that dirt, grime, slobber, and hair get absolutely everywhere when having your pets tag along on car rides. Our furry friends are a part of the family, so having them along is such a joy, especially if we can keep the mud and mess at bay. Here are a few top tips to help you keep your car clean with pets in tow.
- Groom your dog before they get inside the vehicle. Some animals shed because they are nervous drivers, and some shed simply because it is a part of their genetic make-up. Brushing or combing them before heading out for a ride should significantly reduce the amount of dog hair left behind on your seats.
- Cover your seats with a towel or dog blanket to keep hair and mud off your seats; this eliminates you having to clean the car seats at all. Simply throw the towel or blanket in the wash once you get home.
- If you have multiple vehicles, choose one to be the dedicated vehicle for pets; this will eliminate your need to clean and deodorize more and one vehicle.
- Restrain your pet with a crate, leash, or harness to avoid them jumping all over the seats and messing more than one area.
- Use rubber floor mats to protect the carpet on the vehicle’s floor.
- Keep a cleaning kit with you for longer trips in case you need to clean on the go. Include a micro-fibre cloth, plastic bags, a dog brush or comb, a lint brush, paper towels, wet wipes, and an air deodorizer.
- If your dog sheds heavily, consider putting an adult t-shirt on them before heading out.
- Clean your car as soon as you get home to avoid dog odours from lingering around.
- If you happen to get dog hairs embedded into your fabric car seats, find a pair of household rubber gloves and rub your hands all over the seats. This should help dislodge the hairs. Another option is so use a fine grain pumice stone.