A motorbike or car stalling in the middle of nowhere can be a frustrating and demoralising experience. Once you have checked all other factors such as gas in the tank, kill switch, spark plugs and others, you just know – it must be the battery! In situations such as this, it is essential to know how to jumpstart your motorbike or car so you can embark on your journey once again.
Gumtree tells you how:
- If you are using another motorbike to jumpstart yours, make sure both are off and in neutral.
- Locate the battery terminals (it is either under the seat or the chassis).
- Connect the jumper cables.
- Start the working motorbike and let it run until the battery is full.
- Once the battery is fully active, try starting your bike. It may take a couple of tries, but once it starts, let it run for a few minutes to build up the charge.
- Disconnect the jumper cables and ride your motorbike for at least 30 minutes to recharge the battery.
- Identify the car you are using to jumpstart your car and park it close with almost the hoods touching.
- Identify the batteries of both and their red and black terminals. Connect the red clamp onto the positive terminal of your car. Repeat the process on the other car.
- Connect the black end of the jumper cable to the negative terminal on to the working car. Finally, connect the last black end to an unpainted metal surface on to your car.
- With all connections in the right places, start the engine of the working car. Let it run for a few minutes.
- Try starting your car, and if it does, remove the cables carefully, reversing the order in which you connected them. Be careful not to touch any of the ends until all parts have been carefully removed.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find automotive vehicle information close to home.