If you’ve decided to sell your home on your own without the use of a realtor, you may be feeling excitement on money you will be saving, but feelings of overwhelm are not uncommon, either! A great place to start is to get tens of thousands of possible eyes on your property by listing it on Gumtree. Once you have received some interest, holding an open house where all potential buyers can view the house at once is a great next step.
But how do you put on an open house with the expertise of a realtor? Here are a few tips:
- Set a time. Set a day and time for your open house while you create your listing on Gumtree. This will ensure potential buyers know in advance so that they can carve out time in their schedules if they are really interested.
- Make a good first impression. Consider increasing curb appeal by sweeping or pressure washing your driveway, trimming the trees, and adding some bright flowers to your garden. Additionally, you will want to find a good hiding spot for your garbage bins, like around the side of the house or in the garage.
- Hide valuables. To be safe, find a good hiding spot for all valuables rather than leaving them out in the open.
- Remove personal items. In order for potential buyers to visualize themselves living in your home, consider removing some of your family photographs and replacing them with pieces of art.
- Clean up. This one may seem obvious, but it needs to be said. Clean, clean, and clean some more! Having a sparkling clean home will give the impression that you take pride in and take care of your home. A filthy, neglected home will not be attractive to potential buyers. Remove litter boxes, empty trash bins, and get rid of compost to keep things smelling as clean as possible.
- De-clutter. Give the illusion of more space by removing bulky furniture and removing off-season items from closets.
- Dehumidify. Consider running a dehumidifier with an air freshener scent the morning of your open house.
- Bake. If typical air freshener scents are not your thing, another idea is to bake some cookies or make some coffee shortly before potential buyers arrive.
- Occupy the family. It is best if the entire family is occupied outside of the home during the open house. The fewer people sitting around the better.
- Showcase the highlights. If you are showing your home during winter but your back garden and pool area are a major highlight during summer, include a high-quality photograph of the yard in your home and be sure to show potential buyers. If visitors are not from the area, consider telling them about the highlights of the neighbourhood like your favourite coffee shops or nearby schools.
- Flowers. Give a welcoming feel and a pop of colour with fresh flowers on the table.
- Lights. Turn on all lights so there are no dark, gloomy corners.