We’re all different; some people find hiring people exciting as it is a chance to positively grow your team, while others find it a tiring and frustrating project. Either way, the risks of hiring someone under or over qualified for the position are the same: if they’re wrong for the position, you’ll find yourself taking ten steps back and starting the process all over again. Let’s help mitigate these risks, shall we?
Here are a few top tips to help ensure you hire the right person for the job:
- When advertising the position on Gumtree, write very specific descriptions. A generic description will result in a lot of applications that do not fit what you are looking for.
- During the initial interview, ask questions that relate to your company’s culture to better assess whether they would be a good fit.
- Once the first interview is complete and you have narrowed down your search, do a second interview as a group (in-person post-COVID, or on Zoom) with the candidate and the team they would be joining. This is a great way to see if they actually are the great collaborators and communicators they claim to be.
- Consider implementing a phase of the hiring process where candidates need to complete a task. Someone can say they know how to do something, but seeing it in action is a whole other story.
- People tend to try to be their absolute best selves in an interview, so pay close attention to any behaviours or answers that don’t feel right to you. Do not ignore any red flags or you may regret it further on down the line.