If there is one thing our feline friends love more than anything else, it is catnip. Cats, big and small, go into a frenzy with just a sprinkle of the magic stuff. It refers to the genus Nepeta herb or the Nepeta cataria plant, which is a member of the mint family. Catnip contains nepetalactone oils that activate sensory nerves in cats. There are also reports that these oils are similar to pheromones for cats, making them highly frisky. Catnip is an easy to grow plant, which is also found in the wild. But if you are looking to grow some for your fur babies, read on to find out how from Gumtree:
1. The best time to plant catnip is at the beginning of spring, once the threat of frost has passed.
2. It is recommended to plant the catnip seeds indoors for the first few weeks.
3. Once the seedlings have sprouted, find a sunny location in the garden with well- drained soil. Ensure there are no tall plants around that can create shade.
4. While planting, maintain a distance of 18 to 24 inches between the catnip seedlings.
Caring for the catnip plant:
1. Light: Even though the catnip plant requires full sun, it may struggle in extreme heat. For those in humid or hot climates, it is recommended to give the catnip plant some afternoon shade.
2. Soil: Well-draining soil that is slightly acidic in nature is perfect for the catnip plant.
3. Water: A drought-tolerant plant, catnip must not be planted in waterlogged soil. Instead, plant it in moist, loamy or sandy soil for the most optimal conditions.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find local home and garden information close to home.