Ants are some of the most social insects found in nature and for that reason, they follow each other. So, if you see an ant in your home, chances are there is an army somewhere close by. The good news, however, is that most ant species are not particularly damaging to your home. But an ant infestation can be annoying and getting rid of it is a task in itself.
Follow these tips from Gumtree to get rid of and prevent an ant infestation:
- Begin by identifying the ant species in your home so you can find out more about it, its nesting habits and most importantly, how to get rid of it.
- It is essential to find the ant nest, which is not always the easiest process. Ants are more attracted to damp areas such as wooden areas that have been affected by leaks or flooding. Once you identify the nest, spray it with an insecticide containing deltamethrin or bifenthrin.
- It is said that ants prefer protein during springtime and sweets/fats in summer. Set out baits such as peanut butter, honey, and fried food to determine the right ant bait. Once you know what they are attracted to, place a toxic bait to eliminate the infestation.
- Erase ant trails by mopping the area with a solution of 3 parts water with one part vinegar to prevent outdoor ants coming into your home.
- For the exterior of the house, find ant nests in cracks, fallen mortar or between bricks. Once located, spray the nest with an insecticide.
- Finally, a clean house is the first defence against ant infestations. Little preventative actions such as cleaning up crumbs, wiping up spills, taking out the garbage on time etc. can go a long way in preventing ant infestations.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find local home and garden information close to home.