Having someone care for your children is often anxiety inducing for new parents. Your children are the most important things in your lives, so it makes sense that you would want to ensure they have the best possible care, right? Luckily for you, we’ve put together a few tried and tested tips on how to find the perfect nanny service for your little one:
- First, decide what type of nanny service you are wanting or needing. Are you looking for a live-in nanny, a live-out nanny, a part-time or full-time nanny? Do you want someone that is of a specific age, culture, or gender? Do you need the nanny to speak a second language to your child? Knowing the exact characteristics that you are looking for will make the process much easier.
- Make a note of these characteristics so that you can refer back to them during the interview process.
- Once you know exactly what you want, it is time to place your ad on Gumtree. In order to narrow down your search and to avoid people applying that are not qualified, it is best if you include as much information as possible about the job description. Include how much care the child will need, the age of the child, and any additional duties the nanny might be responsible for (cooking or cleaning for example).
- Once your ad is up, it does not hurt to also get the word out elsewhere. Tell all friends and family that you are on the lookout for a nanny and ask for any recommendations they may have. They may also be willing to ask around for you if they do not know of anyone from personal experience.
- Another great way to get the word out there is to contact a nanny service like greataupair.com or supernannies.co.za. These services are designed specifically to pair the best nanny for the job.
- Once you have a list of potential nannies, conduct in-person interviews (or over zoom!). Make sure the candidates know what will be expected of them, but spend most of the time trying to get to know them on a more personal level. If you can, have your children present at some point during the interview to see how the potential nannies interact with them.
- If you believe you have found a good match, it is best to do a trial run before hiring them officially. Schedule a few hours on one day or a few hours on a couple different days, but ensure you will be home so that you can observe from a distance. This will give you a better understanding of how the potential nanny will fit into your family dynamic, as well as to get a clear view of their childcare style.