Dressing for winter in South Africa can be a challenge with varying and fluctuating temperatures throughout the day. However, with proper layering, you can stay warm and comfortable through the cold season. Layering provides you with the freedom to strip off layers according to the changing weather or your activity levels. So, what is the ideal way to layer? Begin with an inner base layer, middle layer, outer layer, while adding accessories and other woolly elements to the entire outfit from Gumtree.
Gumtree also provides you the following tips and tricks to layer comfortably as well as stay stylish:
- Choosing a base layer: When it comes to winter layering, the base layer is the most essential. An excellent material for this later is Merino wool as it is lightweight and breathable.
- Choosing a middle layer: The main function of the middle layer is to retain heat and provide insulation. The perfect materials to use for this layer include fleece, wool, or down as they are comfortable and durable.
- Choosing the outer layer: The outer layer provides aesthetic value and protects you from the elements of nature. The materials for this layer must be weatherproof, wind resistant and breathable. The right choices here include polyester and nylon.
- Order of garments: A rule of thumb to winter layering is to begin with the thinnest layer inside. This is followed by thicker materials and ending with the bulkiest as the outer layer.
- Number of layers: For chilly South African winters, we recommend starting with three layers at a minimum. Thus, as the temperatures rise, you can slowly begin taking off layers to feel more comfortable.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find local clothing information close to home.