When it comes to mental health and stress relief, there are many things that come to mind as helpful ways to get through. But, have you ever heard of decorating your home in a way that could reduce your feelings of stress and overwhelm?
Here are a few tips to create an interior space you can relax in.
- Add living plants to every single room to clear the air of toxins and to produce extra oxygen.
- Keep proper storage to stow away your clutter; cluttered spaces are proven to increase levels of the stress hormone, cortisol, and negatively impact your productivity.
- Decorate with at least a few hints of blue, as blue tones are known to be calming and to decrease high heart rates and stress.
- Allow as much vitamin D in your home as possible by reducing the amount of window treatments you have, or at least having them open throughout the day to let the sunshine in.
- Consider the ancient Chinese art of Feng Shui when it comes to decorating as it was created to harmonize spaces and your personal energy.
- Create specific spaces for the use of screens, rather than using them throughout your entire home. This should help reduce screen time and in return, decrease overstimulation.
- You can never have too many soft textiles like throw pillows, plush blankets, and area rugs.
- Consider a few small vases of lavender to spread throughout your home; lavender is known to calm nerves and aid in the reduction of depression symptoms.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find everything you need for your home, close to home.