We hope you knew, but in case you didn’t, cars do not clean themselves. Gasp! We wish they did though, don’t we? Unfortunately, life doesn’t work that well in our favour. But fortunately for you, we’ve got a few handy tricks up our sleeves to help you up for car cleaning game making it easier than ever to keep it up.
- Clean your car regularly. Don’t wait for it to get extremely dirty where you can wipe the window with your finger and see a clear line left behind. Having this part of your weekly or bi-weekly routine will help prevent dirt build-up that is difficult to remove.
- Know the type of dirt. Not all dirt is created equal and so knowing what you are looking at and cleaning it accordingly will be a huge help.
- Do the cleaning yourself. This may come as a surprise to some, but cleaning your car yourself better protects the bodywork. Automatic car washes, while nice and relaxing, can leave behind small scratches.
- Start by softening the grime. Always rinse your car down first and then liberally apply a neutral cleaner to loosen the dirt up. One loosed, use a soft sponge to remove it, rinsing the sponge often. Then, wash it all away with a liberal amount of water to ensure you remove all cleaning solution from the bodywork.
- Don’t neglect your windows. While cleaning your vehicle’s windows, opt for an automotive window cleaner and a microfiber cloth for the best, streak-free result.
- Your wipers matter too. When cleaning your windshield wipers, we’d recommend using a cloth with hot soapy water first, and then wipe each blade with rubbing alcohol.
- Polish like a pro. Polishing your car is not just to get a nice shiny finish. Polishing actually helps protect the outer layer of your car. Don’t forget to cover up all unpainted plastic pieces and seals before starting the application.
- De–fog. If the plastic cover on your headlights have turned yellowish and/or foggy, use a regular toothbrush with a liberal amount of toothpaste and brush the inside of your headlights in circles. Once finished, wash it off with water and voila! A clean, fog-free headlight.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to wash your ride! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find everything you’ll need to wash your car like a pro close to home.