If you are on the hunt for a new job, how you are perceived in person and in photographs is crucial.
If you choose to include a photo in your CV, choosing the right one could be the difference between getting an interview and not.
Here are a few tips and things to consider:
- Choosing the right photo could give you a competitive advantage, but choosing the wrong one could undermine your efforts.
- Remember that a photograph on your CV acts as the employer’s first impression of you, so you want to make it a good one.
- Make sure the photo is very clear with minimal to no clutter in the background. A blank wall in your home with natural lighting is a great option!
- Choosing an image where you look friendly and approachable may help you land an interview, so be sure to smile.
- While you want to look friendly and approachable, you also want to be perceived as professional. Using an image of you from a party or event may not be the best idea.
- Avoid images including alcohol, small children (unless you have permission from the parents), protests, parties, or any other situation that could be taken the wrong way and are seen as unprofessional.
- If the ideal image does not already exist, consider asking a friend or family member to take one of you wearing an interview appropriate outfit.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to find a job! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find your next job close to home.