You are committed to working out and getting fit this summer. What’s the next big decision? What to wear, of course! Choosing the right gym pants and leggings is essential for comfort, flexibility, and breathability during workouts.
Gumtree outlines the factors you should consider before buying your gym wear.
- Length and rise: The first thing to consider is the length of the pants. The three most popular legging lengths are full length, 7/8 length (right above the ankle) and capri length that ends at about the mid-calf. Leggings also come in mid-rise and high-rise styles.
- Fabrics: Choosing the right fabric is a personal preference. Cotton fabrics offer comfort but may stretch over time. Synthetics such as polyester or nylon, on the other hand, are great at wicking moisture that help remain dry during intense workouts. However, they are not as comfortable as cotton. Another great alternative is to buy a cotton-synthetic blend that gives you the best of both.
- Pockets: Leggings or gym pants with pockets or zipper enclosures are now becoming more popular than ever. Use these to store your keys, phone, or credit card.
- Size: Always, and this is important, try on the leggings or gym pants before buying them. Comfort and the right fit is paramount when it comes to your workout wardrobe and the wrong fit can adversely impact your entire routine. Another important tip: when you do try them on, do a few squats or jumping jacks in the dressing room just to see how they feel. You’ll thank us later!
- Thickness: The thinnest or most sheer leggings do not necessarily mean more breathability. Leggings that are too sheer may also tear during intense workouts. If you are looking to invest in sheer leggings, ensure you buy them from reputed brands to be assured of quality.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find local sport and leisure information close to home.