Choosing the right creche or daycare for your child is an important decision that requires a lot of research and due diligence. It can be a stressful process because, obviously, you only want the best for your little one. But at the outset, all daycare services look great! So how do you make the right decision?
Gumtree outlines the following factors you should consider.
- Reviews: When you visit a potential daycare, the principal, teachers and helpers are only going to give you stellar reviews. But it is imperative that you do your own research by talking to friends and family. Use social media such as Facebook and Whatsapp groups on reviews from other parents too.
- Surprise visit: Most daycares have open door policies for potential parents. Pop in for a visit to make your own judgement on how the children are taken care of. Most times, parents just get a good feeling during their visits, especially if the daycare provides a fun, vibrant environment for the children. When visiting, if you find that the children are happy, clean and engaged, it may be the right place for your little one too.
- Curriculum: Even though daycares are primarily for play and fun, it is important your child experiences age-appropriate activities and learning on a daily basis as well. Weekly themes, show and tell, baking activities, sensory play – all these add to important learning outcomes.
- Certifications: When visiting a potential daycare, do not be shy to ask the caregivers about their certifications and training. It is essential that your child’s teacher and assistant are certified in emergency procedures, especially CPR. Apart from this, assess how the teachers treat the children in their classes – do they speak to them in a loving and respectful tone? Are the children scared or nervous to approach the teacher? These are all important factors to consider.
- Safety: Finally, how safe does the daycare seem to you? Ask the principal or teachers if the classrooms are child-proofed such as covered outlets, blind strings anchored, clean and undamaged toys and more.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find local service information close to home.