If you are a driver and own a vehicle, changing a tyre is a basic skill you must possess as it is an emergency that can occur at any time and anywhere. Thus, it is essential you always check your car for the following tools before embarking on any trip, long or short: jack, lug wrench, inflated spare tyre and the vehicle owner’s manual. If you are missing any of these items, it is imperative you purchase them immediately to avoid nasty shocks later on.
Gumtree explains how you can systematically change your tyres:
- When you realise you have a flat or burst tyre, do not stop or brake immediately. Instead, turn on your hazards, slow down and look for a safe location such as a straight wide road or an empty parking lot. Once you have parked, read through your owner’s manual.
- Once you are ready, put the vehicle in park and engage the hand brake or parking brake so the vehicle does not roll. Also place wheel wedges, large stones, or bricks in front and behind the wheels for added safety.
- Begin by removing the hubcap with the help of a lug wrench to expose the lug nuts.
- Next, use the lug wrench to loosen the lug nuts. You may require a lot of force until their resistance is broken. However, do not remove them just yet.
- Follow the owner’s manual and place the jack beneath the frame of the vehicle nearest to the flat tire. Once positioned, use the jack to raise the vehicle by about 6 inches off the ground. Once the vehicle is raised, it is time to unscrew the lug nuts.
- Next, gently remove the tyre and set it aside and place the inflated spare tyre on the hub, gently pushing it in.
- Put the lug nuts back in and tighten them by hand. Lower the vehicle slightly and tighten the nuts once again using a wrench this time.
- Lower the vehicle completely and take off the jack. Tighten the lug nuts once again for added safety.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find local automotive vehicle information close to home.