In this ever-expanding digital age, we are constantly on our electronic devices. But how many of us know how to correctly care for these devices? Our bad charging habits are killing the battery life of our favourite device, be it the smartphone, tablet, or laptop.
Gumtree gives you the basics on how to extend the life of your device battery and charge it correctly.
Smartphone and tablet:
- Avoiding extreme temperatures is key. While charging, if you notice your device is beginning to heat up, remove it from the charger and cool it down.
- Contrary to popular belief, your device should not be charged to a full 100% or overnight. Similarly, do not let the battery drain down to 0% either.
- Do not use a fast charger to speed up the charging process if your phone was not designed for it, as this can heat up the device.
- Do not use the device while charging as the battery charges at a slower than normal rate.
- Use the charger that came with the device. Using cheap alternatives can adversely affect the performance and battery.
For the laptop:
- External peripherals such as hard drives and webcams are a huge drain on the device battery. Unplug them when not in use.
- Avoid letting your laptop charge drop below 20%.
- Do not use your laptop in extreme weather conditions as this makes the device work harder, draining the battery life even faster.
- Never keep your laptop plugged in constantly. Instead use the smart charge mode that prioritises battery health.
- Reducing your screen brightness helps save battery power as the laptop display is a huge drain on the battery.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find battery life information close to home.