Every new parent has spent hours and hours gazing at their precious babies and no doubt noticed a few soft spots on their little heads. These soft spots, also known as fontanelles, are essential for the baby’s development and must be cared for and protected. A new-born baby has a soft skull as the bones have not fused together to allow them to pass through the narrow birth canal. There are two fontanelles on a baby’s head: the anterior fontanelle in the front of the head and the posterior fontanelle at the back.
Gumtree provides the following tips to care for your baby’s soft spot:
- Do not rub the soft spot vigorously at any time. Instead, be gentle and use a soft sponge when washing the hair or bathing.
- A bulging or swollen fontanelle is a big red flag as it can be the result of complications involving the brain or spinal cord. Consult a doctor immediately.
- Always keep the baby’s head covered in cold climates.
- If either of the fontanelles have a sunken curvature or appears deep and the baby is not drinking milk well enough, it could be a sign of dehydration or malnutrition.
- Always keep the baby’s head supported as any jerks or movements can lead to injuries to the head and the fontanelles.
- If the fontanelles close prematurely, consult a doctor as this could lead to issues in the development of the skull.
- Do not let other little children such as siblings or cousins play near the baby’s head to avoid injuries.
- If there is a delay in the fontanelle closing, this could be a sign of dwarfism or Down’s Syndrome. However, it is important to not panic and consult a doctor instead.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find local baby and kids information close to home.