Scandinavian style wooden furniture has become a staple in the interior design industry as of late, as well as in many homes around the world. The best part about this trend is that quality wooden furniture can last an entire life time, and can be passed down generations. The downside? Even the best quality woods are prone to scratches if proper care is not taken.
Here are our top ten tips to help keep your beautiful wooden furniture looking its best for as long as possible.
- Don’t mistreat your furniture by doing things like leaving glasses or mugs to sit without coasters.
- Never place hot plates or dishes directly on it, and try to use a table cloth or placemats to protect your tables if possible.
- Avoid placing these pieces where they will receive direct, harsh sunlight for many hours of the day to decrease light and heat damage.
- Avoid placing them near fireplaces, uncovered windows, and uncovered vents to further decrease light and heat damage.
- Dust on a weekly basis to remove any airborne particles that could leave a film if not removed promptly.
- To avoid damage during dusting, use an old cotton t-shirt, or soft micro-fibre cloths.
- Do not use all-purpose spray cleaners, but rather dip a cloth in hot water and a mild dish detergent for use on extra soiled and sticky spots.
- Always clean up any moisture as soon as it arises.
- Purchase a wood furniture protection spray.
- Use products on the market, like a liquid polish, to hide abrasions that do occur (despite your best efforts).
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find wooden furniture close to home.