Asking for a promotion is a high anxiety-inducing situation to put yourself in. Putting yourself out there is intimidating; what if they say no?
Will it show that you are embarrassed? Maybe.
But, what if they say yes?
The only thing worse than asking for a promotion is working in a position that leaves you feeling under-valued.
Here are a few tips to help you get the promotion you deserve!
- Always do your homework. When you ask the big question, you will want to come armed with research to show that people in your position with the same experience are making more, or that you went above and beyond to deserve it.
- Choose the perfect time. Okay, there is no PERFECT time, but there sure are times that are better than others. For example, asking your stressed boss during the busiest time of the year is not the best option.
- Ask for a meeting. Request a formal review and make it known that you would like to discuss your performance and potential to move up in the company.
- Know the facts. If you’ve been granted a promotion, now it is time to negotiate your new salary. Know your numbers so that you can let them know the average salary for people in your position.
- Follow up. If you do not get the promotion, or do not hear back within a week, do not consider the conversation closed. Wait a few months, work hard, and approach your manager again.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to get your promotion!