Regular maintenance of your vehicle is important to ensure its long life and safety for years to come. Some of the important factors that must be checked are the various fluids and tyres that are essential for the running of the car. Gumtree explains how often you must send your car in for the maintenance of these.
- The most important fluids to check and maintain include the brake fluid, engine oil, transmission fluid and water.
- It is recommended to check the brake fluid every two years at least. However, during regular servicing, too, the boiling point of the brake fluid must be tested.
- The engine oil, which ensures the engine works in perfect condition, must be examined at least once a month, if not more.
- Manufacturers recommend checking and changing the transmission fluid every 80,000 to 150,000 kilometres to ensure smooth running.
- As is the case with engine oil, water levels must also be checked every month, preferably every week. However, this can also be conducted at home.
- Tyre pressure is not only important for the smooth running of your vehicle but also your safety.
- Tyres that have low pressure can pose high risks of accidents and tyre bursts for the driver and passengers.
- It is recommended to check tyre pressure at least once a month and preferably every two to four weeks.
Thus, it is imperative that you take your car in for regular checks up and maintenance as failure to do so can:
- Make your vehicle unfit for driving and less road-worthy.
- Cost you much more in the long run with bigger mechanical issues.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find local automotive vehicle information close to home.