When a home remodel is on your mind, it is easy to see Rand notes flying around your head as the numbers start to add up. The good news, though, is that no matter what your motivation for a renovation, there are definitely easy ways to do it on a budget. Here are our top tips to save money when giving your home the facelift it deserves.
- Set a firm budget and do not go over it.
- Add a 15-20% cushion for any unexpected costs that may come up.
- Keep track of all costs on an excel spreadsheet.
- Shop around for supplies, and always check the back of the stores in their clearance sections.
- DIY as much as you can.
- If you need to hire a contractor to complete some parts of the project you are not savvy enough to do on your own, make sure you have a full understanding of everything that is included in their fee so that there are no unforeseen costs.
- Handle the disposal of the debris yourself. Hiring a company to remove it may cost more than taking a few trips to the dump yourself.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find everything you need for a home remodel on a budget close to home.