Over the last few years, the popularity of home automation and smart homes has skyrocketed. Switching on lights with your mobile phone or asking the home assistant to switch on the kettle for a cup of tea sounds alluring and almost magical. However, the process of diving into home automation leaves many confused and puzzled. Where do you begin? What do you buy?
Gumtree wants to help. Read on to understand the basics of home automation.
There are four main ecosystems to choose from: Alexa (Amazon), Siri (Apple), Google Assistant and Cortona (Microsoft).
Smart Home Gear
Given below are some of the home gear and devices recommended by experts:
- Raspberry Pi 4: Perfect as an automation hub, this minicomputer runs an efficient Home Assistant.
- Philips Hue Go: This portable smart lighting device enhances the environment of a home and can also be used as a night light.
- Philips Hue Motion Sensor: Using this device, you can turn the lights on and off automatically.
- Wemo Insight: This is a smart plug that can turn appliances such as fans on and off. It can also provide reports on energy usage.
- Logitech Harmony Hub: This universal remote can be used to control your home’s entertainment devices.
Smart Home Hub
This device is considered the brain of the home automation system that can integrate multiple devices into your chosen ecosystem. The two most popular devices are:
- Smartthings v3 (Samsung)
- The Raspberry Pi 4 and its Home Assistant
Gumtree also provides a list of smart home categories and recommended devices:
- Lights: Smart bulbs such as Philips Hue
- Thermostats: Nest or Ecobee
- Locks: Kwikset Kevo
- Doorbells/camera: Ring and Nest
- Security systems: SimpliSafe and Adobe
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find local electronic information close to home.