Having a social media presence in today’s day and age is nonnegotiable for B2C businesses if they want to succeed. As brands scramble to find new and innovative ways to captivate their audiences in a way that translates into sales, it can be extremely helpful to have a knowledgeable social media manager on board.
Here are a few things to consider ensuring you hire the right person for the job:
- Hiring one person to handle your brand’s social media profiles gives you the amazing benefit of having a consistent brand voice. Too many people in the kitchen can have your messaging sounding just like that.
- Look for someone who’s personality, writing style and general tone matches your brand to make the transition period much easier.
- Experience often wins in life, however because social media is constantly evolving, a recent graduate who is new to the field may be even more up-to-date than those with years of experience and have fresh perspectives to add to the mix. That being said, don’t rule out the newbies!
- Look for someone who understands the importance of creating and sticking to a strategy on social media, and who is willing to work with you to follow a plan.
- Ask candidates what tools they are familiar with and which they would prefer to work with to strategize and create content.
- Your social media manager will represent your brand at all times, so you will want to make sure they are professional and respectful, especially on their own social media profiles. They should be able to handle all stressful online situations with grace and professionalism, so be sure to keep an eye on that.
- Check for related skills like the ability to put together analytics reports and craft content or change gears based on the information they receive; if the content is not performing and does not relate to your target audience, the social media manager should be able to adapt their strategy accordingly.