Gumtree has partnered with Project Isizwe to bring free wi-fi to low-income communities across South Africa, starting with a large roll-out in the City of Tshwane. The initiative plans to create capacity to connect over 1 million people in the municipality by August 2014 via 219 “Free Internet Zones”, with even greater capacity planned for the 2015.
Each of the Free Internet Zone (FIZ) locations allow users with Wi-Fi enabled devices such as mobile phones, tablets, laptops and desktop computers to access free internet without any logins or passwords. A fair usage policy limits users to a data cap of 250MB per device per day and prohibits access to certain sites to protect against abuse of the free service.
However, once the cap has run out, users will still be able to access a specialised content portal known as Tobetsa – which includes access to Gumtree’s portal for job seekers and educational information.
Tshwane Free Wi-Fi is available at TUT Soshanguve Campus, University of Pretoria: Hatfield Campus, Tshwane North College, Mamelodi Community Centre and Church Square in the Pretoria CBD, as well as Union Buildings and Pretoria City Hall. As well as at 213 Primary & Secondary schools in Mamelodi, Shoshanguve and Atteridgeville. (To find out if Wi-Fi is in your area, visit the interactive map)
How does it work?
This service allows you to connect to the Internet for free at over 200 areas across the Tshwane municipality. See map of the locations on the reverse side.
If you have a laptop, tablet or cell phone with Internet capabilities you can browse the Internet at these locations for free, accessing up to 250 Mbs per person per day. This means you can connect to social media sites like Facebook or Twitter, catch up on the latest news, watch videos or listen to online radio or look for jobs on Gumtree.co.za.
Best of all, when your data runs out, you can still connect to Tobetsa – our free portal that is packed with educational information and Gumtree jobs for you to apply to.
How to connect using your cell phone:
- Go to the “Settings” option on your phone.
- There will be an option for “Wireless and networks”, “Internet Options” or “Connect to the Internet”. On Blackberry, you will find “Manage Connections”.
- You will then see a list of available networks
- Select the Free Wi-Fi network
- You don’t need a password to connect.
- Once connected, you will be directed to the Tobetsa Portal, available for unlimited use.
- You will also be able to visit other sites by typing the web address into the browser.
- You will find Gumtree Jobs section on the Tobetsa Portal
- You will be able to apply for jobs with unlimited on-net data
- You can also u0pload your CV to the site for free
- Or you can post a job that is available without spending a cent.
- You can also find job tips, templates for CVs, interview tactics and more.