With uncluttered clean lines accentuated with beautiful architectural features, it is simply impossible to deny the beauty and warmth of a home with a minimalist interior design. Achieving this look, however, is not as easy as decluttering your space and painting your walls white; this can leave a room feeling cold and un-lived in.
While every home and personal style is different, there are a few rules that all minimalist interior embrace. Here is our guide to achieving the perfect minimalist look:
- The foundation of any minimalist space is that less is more. Each piece of furniture and decor should be curated with intent for each particular room.
- With the above said, this does not mean your space must be void of personality. A successful minimalist space is best when paired with a few pieces of reflect your personality, like a large gallery wall of family photographs or a carefully curated collection of art.
- Start with a neutral base with a fresh, calming colour palette, like white or beige.
- Play with different textures and fabrics to add warmth and enrich the space.
- A minimalist space may look like it has less, but that does not mean you have to give up all your personal items and living necessities. Rather choose items that are packed with clever storage.
- Allow your furniture to breathe without the clutter. Embrace clean lines without stacks of paper or magazines, and knick-knacks laying around.
- Minimalist homes evoke quality over quantity. Decorate with classic pieces that will not go out of style in a year or two. This may mean spending more, but if they last a lifetime, they will be well worth it.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find everything you need to create the perfect minimalist space close to home.