Whether you’re a gardening newbie or have planted and maintained a garden before, it can be disheartening when you feel you are giving your all and your plants just do not seem to be thriving as you’d hoped. With these simple tips, you’ll be on your way to a greener, healthier looking garden in no time.
- Test your soil to determine the levels of nitrogen, phosphorous, potassium, pH, and organic-matter.
- Once you know what type of soil you have, find plants that will work specifically in that type of soil.
- When possible, try to choose plants that are native to the area you live in. These plants are most likely to survive and thrive with less effort.
- Just like we feed ourselves in order to grow and remain strong, plants need the same. Water and sunlight isn’t enough. Consider adding nutrients to the soil by purchasing a fertilizer. Fertilizers will add nitrogen, phosphorous, and potassium which are great for promoting healthier plant roots. If you are growing fruit, these key nutrients are known to help grow better sized fruit, too.
- If fertilizer is not an option, a great alternative is to add compost.
- Decrease your garden’s need for water by 30% by simply mulching to add a barrier between the soil and the air. Mulching also discourages the growth of weeds and repels insects that may be damaging your plants.
- Have you ever heard that trimming your hair helps it grow quicker? Plants are the same. Pruning your garden regularly to remove dead leaves and branches will help the plants produce higher yields and will also help your garden look polished and not overgrown.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find everything you’ll need to keep your garden looking fresh close to home.