It can be both overwhelming and nerve-wrecking to think about re-entering the workforce after an extended leave. Whether you took a few years to be at home with the kids, or had medical reasons as to why you could not work for an extended period of time, getting back into the swing of things can be daunting.
Here are our top 5 tips to help you get back into the workforce with ease.
- Take some time to assess your goals. Chances are your priorities and perspectives have changed dramatically during your time away from work. Make a list of things you want and absolutely would not want out of your next job or career change and use this as your blueprint when on your search.
- Embrace the new way of networking that both the pandemic and the year 2021 has brought us. Things are different now and you will need to become comfortable with connecting digitally.
- Give your online presence a good polish before applying for any positions. Today, most employers do a quick search to check up on your online behaviours before even giving you the opportunity to meet face to face for an interview. Do your social media profiles portray the image you want to convey?
- Consider upskilling or refreshing your skills with a few free online courses.
- Be confident! Getting back into the game is difficult, but you know your worth. Use the extremely powerful tool of confidence to your advantage. Employers will pick up on it, we promise!