Maybe you recently moved into a new home that actually has some garden space. Or perhaps you have always had garden space but just did not know where to start. Whatever your motivation, gardening can be an amazing way to both de-stress and increase the curb appeal of your home.
Here are our top tips for beginners.
- Place your garden in an area that you will see every day. If something is out of site, you will likely forget about it and not spend the necessary time to take care of it.
- Pay close attention to where the sunlight hits in your yard and at what times. This will help you choose the best spot for your garden.
- Keep in mind that most edible plants, like vegetables, fruits, and herbs, will need at least 6-8 hours of sunlight each day, so choose the location for them wisely.
- Plant your garden as close to a water source as possible to avoid too many back-breaking watering can trips.
- Not sure how to tell whether your plants desperately need water or not? Push a finger down into the soil (about one inch); if it is dry that far down, it is time to give them a drink.
- Spend the money to purchase the best quality soil you can afford.
- If space is a concern, consider purchasing a few large pots. Many plants can thrive in this environment so your gardening journey does not have to end due to lack of space.
- Choose the right plants for the environment. If your yard does not have a large amount of sun per day, do not choose plants that require all-day sunlight. Some quick research will help you find out which are best for the environment you can give them.
- Plan to start your garden at the right time. Starting right before winter hits may not be the best time, for example.
- Along with high quality soil and regular watering, help your plants grow big and strong with regular nutrients. Purchasing some top-notch food for your plants will do wonders.
Now that you’ve got the knowledge, it’s time to shop! Head to gumtree.co.za or your Gumtree app (click for Apple & Android) and don’t forget to use your location settings to find everything you need for the perfect garden, close to home.