Whether you have a one year old’s birthday party coming up, or a post-COVID wedding to plan, a photographer is likely to be one of the service providers that are high up on your list. But how do you know which photographer will work best for your specific event?
Here are a few things to consider before hiring a photographer:
- Consider the type of photography. What types of shots are you hoping to get? A photographer who takes incredible action shots at sporting events will not necessarily have the right equipment and accessories to take beautiful stills at night. Knowing what you are wanting out of the experience will help you narrow down photographers who are experienced in those areas.
- If you are holding an event, look for a photographer with experience taking candid shots.
- If you are wanting family photos, consider a portrait photographer who is experienced with posing and lighting.
- If you have a new business you are about to launch, opt for a photographer who has experience taking product shots and who has the equipment to do them properly.
- Once you determine the type of photographer you will need, browsing online classified sites like Gumtree will let you find photographers in your area.
- After you have made a small list of potential photographers that work out of your area, it is time to do some research. Find their websites and take a look through their portfolios, as well as their customer reviews. Two wedding photographers can be equally talented, but one may have better rapport with their past clients, or has a style a little closer to yours.
- Once you have narrowed your list down to a couple potential photographers, ask them a few questions. Firstly, you will want to know whether you can afford their services, so requesting a quote is crucial. Then, you will want to ask them what their packages include, and what types of equipment they will be using/are able to provide. Will you need to provide a location, or do they have a studio? Do they work with natural light only, or do they bring extra lighting? These are all things you will need to know in order to make your final decision.